Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Sleep

Carter used to be a great sleeper! But in the past couple weeks everything seemed to come unraveled. I had decided to stop swaddling Carter and I think that might have been why all the trouble began. Carter's naps began to get shorter and shorter and he started waking up more and more at night. Of course while Carter was having all of this trouble sleeping I was pretty sick. I don't know if I had the flu or some virus going around, but I was having enough trouble sleeping at night and getting up to take care of Carter did not help. After Carter woke up every two hours one night I decided something had to be done. Even when Carter was a newborn he didn't get up that much at night!

So we started a new sleep program and Carter is sleeping through the night again! The first night we started he woke up twice, but that was better than the night before! The second night Carter slept 13 and a half hours! We put him to bed at 7 and he didn't get up until 8:30 the next morning! It was wonderful! The next night Carter did wake up once, but I can handle that. And the next night he slept all night again. Thankfully he's sleeping well at night because he is struggling with his naps.

For a couple months this is how Carter took all of his naps...


It's kind of hard to tell, but he's in a swing. It worked great, except it didn't let Carter learn how to fall asleep on his own. He relied on the rocking of the swing to lull him to sleep. So starting last Friday I no longer put Carter in his swing for naps. Carter now takes all his naps in his crib. Granted, sometimes he just cries for an hour before I go in to give him a break before trying again in another half hour. But this morning Carter fell asleep for his first nap without making a peep! We're on day 5 of the program and I'm hoping he's starting to learn how to fall asleep on his own!

This is now how Carter takes all his naps!!


I took this picture this morning after he fell asleep with no crying! Hopefully he will continue to get better at taking his naps and that he won't spend an hour crying anymore! Now that it is no longer used for naps, Carter gets to play in his swing between naps!



Carter is such a good baby! Hopefully this sleep thing will sort itself out! I know in the long run it will save both of us a lot of grief! Plus he's such a happy baby when he gets his sleep! 

No comments:

Post a Comment