Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Butterfield Thanksgiving

For Thanksgiving this year we were in Fruit Heights with my family. We had an amazing Thanksgiving dinner and had a lot of fun with my family and grandparents.


Like I said in the previous post we went down to St. George Friday afternoon, but we went back up to Fruit Heights Wednesday morning. Wednesday night my mom and Jenny threw me a baby shower!


I got lots of cute stuff, but one of my favorites was the cute penguin hat from Jenny! :)

Sometime in the middle of the night Wednesday a huge windstorm blew in. The storm lasted about nine hours and they recorded wind speeds up to 102 mph. It was the nastiest wind I have ever seen! It was so loud! Around 5:30 in the morning I woke up to go to the bathroom (one of those fun parts of being pregnant ;)) and the light started flickering. When I was walking back to our room I heard the printer coming back on and realized the power must have gone out. We were lucky that our power was turned back on later that afternoon. A lot of people in the area didn't have power for a few days.

Without power there are only so many things you can do. One of them is play games! :) We played a little Scum and then we had a Rook tournament! Rory and Scott pretty much dominated, but it was still fun.

At one point in the storm Rory and I decided to try and venture outside. The wind was super intense! Not only was it windy, but cold too! I didn't last very long. :) This is us when we got back inside.

My little brother Nathan had fun running with the wind and then against it. It was pretty funny to watch him speed one way and then really struggle to come back. Just after I came back inside a chair came flying down the sidewalk and flew into a telephone pole and pretty much exploded into a bunch of pieces. It almost took out Nathan!

For lunch we went out to eat, but we soon found out that most of the restaurants were closed because of power outages. Luckily we were in the Winger's parking lot when their power returned and they opened up for us!

Towards the end of the storm we started hearing things popping on the roof. We soon realized that it was shingles popping off. We also watched all morning as different parts of the fence went down.

The damage wouldn't have been so extensive if the wind didn't last so many hours. Driving around after was crazy. We saw multiple trucks that had been blow off the road and were laying on their sides. There were so many huge trees that had been uprooted and fallen over. It was a crazy storm! I'm glad my parents didn't have any more damage to their house than they did. We heard of people who weren't so lucky.

Friday night we went to Temple Square to see the lights! It was pretty nippy outside and it started to snow! It took us a few tries to take pictures because the snow was blowing into our eyes! :)

Even with the crazy wind storm we had a blast with my family! I'm glad we got to come out and visit before our baby comes. We had a great Thanksgiving vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment